Shane McNichol // GSG Ambassador
Shane grew up in San Diego surfing throughout high school until he discovered rock climbing in 2009.
“Climbing was a breath of fresh air and reminded me of what the surfing community was before it exploded. I loved the new adventure and the unknown. I honestly loved the fact that it scared me and tested me both mentally and physically. I can honestly say climbing is the toughest sport I’ve ever tried, no matter how great you think you are, there’s always room for improvement. I love the fact that between the different disciplines and the endless amazing destinations, there are lifetimes of adventure at our fingertips".
Shane lives in Las Vegas Nevada where he’s a trainer for Solar Photovoltaic Installer. He enjoys teaching and mentoring employees in alternative energy which will have a positive impact on our natural landscapes in the future. Outside of work Shane spends his time in Red Rock devoting himself to all disciplines of the craft. He most enjoys long multi-pitch climbing, drinking coffee and adventuring into the gnar with good friends. His most proud days of climbing have been in the canyons of Red Rock, highball bouldering in the Buttermilks and snagging the second ascent of “No Toucho Randino 12.b” at Eagle Peak.
“I really enjoy how friendly and welcoming the community is for everyone. It’s not about what you’re climbing, its how much fun you’re having doing it."
Quote: “The more you know, the less you need” – Yvon Chouinard
- Wonderstuff (12.d) Red Rock, NV
- Second Ascent of Sika 13 (12.d) Red Rock, NV
- Levitation 29 (11b/c) Red Rock, NV (on-sighted)
- Cloud Tower (12a, Grade IV) Red Rock, NV (on-sighted)
- Inti Wantana to Resolution Arete (5.10c, Grade V) Red Rock, NV (single day ascent)
- Second Ascent of No Toucho Randino (12.b) Eagle Peak, CA
- "K7" (12.d) Kelly's Rock, Saint George Utah
- Moonraker V8-9, Fly Boy Sit V8, Soul Slinger Right V8, Bishop, CA